Complete the summary
Choose ONE WORD ONLY from the passage for each answer. Type your answers in the space provided.
Some plastics behave in a similar way to (1)______________________ in that they melt under heat and can be moulded into new forms. Bakelite was unique because it was the first material to be both entirely (2)__________________ in origin, and thermosetting.
There were several reasons for the research into plastics in the nineteenth century, among them the great advances that had been made in the field of (3) _________________ and the search for alternatives to natural resources like ivory.
ANSWERS: 1. Candelwax 2. Synthetic 3. Chemistry
Complete the steps by writing ONE WORD ONLY from the passage for each answer. Type your answer in the space provided.
THE PRODUCTION OF BAKELITE
Step 1: Phenol + Formaldehyde – combine under vacuum
Step 2: Stage one resin, called (4)_______________
Step 3: Cool until hardened
Step 4: Break up and grind into powder
Step 5: (5) __________________ (e.g. cotton, asbestos) + catalysts + (Ammonia + Formaldehyde) (6)____________________
Step 6: Stage two Resin
Step 7: Cool until hardened
Step 8: Break up and grind into powder
Step 9: (7) _____________________ Bakelite
Step 10: Heat
Step 11: Pour into mould
Step 12: Apply inessive heat and (8) __________________
Step 13: Cool until hardened
Questions 9 and 10
Choose two letters A-E.
Write your answers in the spaces provided. Answers can be given in any order.
Which TWO of the following factors influencing the design fo Bakelite objects are mentioned in the text?
- The function which the object would serve
- The ease with which the resin could fill the mould
- The facility with which the object could be removed from the mould
- The limitations of the materials used to manufacture the mould
- The fashionable styles of the period
ANSWERS: B and C
Do the following statements agree with the information given in the reading passage?
In select the correct answer from the drop down box.
TRUE if the statement agrees with the information
FALSE if the statement contradicts the information
NOT GIVEN if there is no information on this
- Modern-day plastic preparation is based on the same principles as that patented in 1907. TRUE
- Bakelite was immediately welcomed as a practical and versatile material. FALSE
- Bakelite was only available in a limited range of colours. FALSE